Monday, January 28, 2008

"There was a barber and his wife, and she was beautiful"- There's no place like London, Sweeney Todd


So funny story, my car is currently stuck in my driveway, I made several attempts to get it unstuck, but failed miserably. All I got was cold hands, a wet dress, and a pulled muscle in my shoulder! Then I go to call my Padre to see if he can rescue me, and our land line is dead. Plus big shock of the century my cell phone died this morning and my charger is at work! So all I had to work with was my wireless internet, I attempted to e-mail my dad and my sister, but neither have responded. The neighbors (who i've never really met anyway) are gone as well, So i'm writing to you from my home computer, because I'm trapped! And you know me, always about using my time efficiently, so why not blog! I just realized I only really wrote one last week, what a slacker, I am sorry!




Saturday was a pretty eventful day, Nette and I had planned heading to Tri-Cities so she could spend some gift cards she got for Christmas, and I could just spend money period! What started as just a little shopping trip turned into a full day of adventure with Me, Nette, Gwen, and on the way home Brenna. We got our shop on, or Sweeney Todd on, did a little Red Robin, and watched the Tri-cities Americans defeat the Vancouver Giants in a glorious Hockey Match. But that's beside the point what I really want to discuss is my feelings on the movie Sweeney Todd.




I was super excited to see this musical for obvious reasons A) it's a musical and B) it has Johnny Depp in it. But for the most part I didn't know quite what to expect. I was only familiar with a couple songs from the score, and Steven Sondhiem's music takes me a bit to warm up too. I also knew from the things I heard on TV that there was a lot of blood, so I was a little squeemish, but eventually let curiosity get the best of me.




I should probably explain the show for those of you who don't know. Sweeney Todd is a musical about a young Barber who is wrongfully sentenced to Prison by a shifty judge that covets his beautiful wife. He comes home to London after serving his sentence only to be told his wife had committed suicide and his daughter was adopted by the judge that imprisoned him, this all told to him by Mrs. Lovett, the pie shop owner below his old apartment (who also happens to be madly in love with Him) Long story short, he seeks revenge by slitting the throats of his customers that come in for a shave. Mrs. Lovett decides to not be wasteful and use the bodies as meat for her pies. . . .and thus as the old joke goes, her business begins to boom! In the end Todd obtains the revenge he craves, but in a sad twist of the plot, pays a heavy price for the anger that fuels his actions.


Needless to say this isn't the most uplifting show that ever was, but it has it's moments of humor, and romance, and the score was fantastic! Here is a list of my favorite songs from the show. . . . . .


1. "The Worst Pies in London" Although Angela Lansberry's original version is by far the best (she originated the role of Mrs. Lovett when it premiered) The song is about Lovett pretty much owning up to the fact that her pastries are awful! You kinda have to listen to the whole song to appreciate it and all the funny jokes. It's definately on my list of songs I wouldn't mind performing one day. As long as I can squish roaches with my rolling pin while I continue to bake.


2. "Not While I'm Around"- This is a sweet ballad sung by Tobey the little boy Mrs. Lovett takes under her wing after Todd kills his previous "Master". Lovett is the closest thing to a mother he's known and actually treats him kindly, and when he starts to distrust Todd and worry for her safety. Comes to her and says "Nothings gonna harm you, Not while I'm around." My favorite line is "Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays. I'll send em howling, I don't care, I got ways!" It's just such cute lullably like song, sung by a little boy that loves his "Mum".


3. "A Little Priest"- I think this was the funniest part of the movie, when Mrs. Lovett get's the epiphany, and her and Sweeney start remarking on the different kinds of People Pies they'll make. "Everbody shaves, so there should be plenty of flavors!" he sings. I know it's a gross thought, but entertaining!


4. "By The Sea"- This was by far the greatest dream sequence I've ever beheld! Now you'd think in a musical such as this, any dream sequence would be more like a nightmare, but not so, it was humorous and sort of cute. Unlike Fiddler on the Roof, Singin' in the Rain, and Oklahoma. Which had sequences that freaked me out or didn't make sense! Anyway the song is Mrs. Lovett singing about her, Mr. Todd and Tobey being a family and living out the rest of there lives by the sea.



So I loved the music, the acting was superb, but I wouldn't have expected anything less. I could have done without the blood that looked more like paint then actual blood, but I guess that's Tim Burton for you! All in all worth the hype, worth the three hour trip back to Moses and almost worth the repenting I'll have to do later for seeing an R rated movie!!! Ha ha Ha!


P.S.


My Daddy came to the rescue and I am now safely back in my Cubicle!


Peace Out!




2 comments:

Tiffany Fackrell said...

oh no - did you get stuck in that yucky ice storm we had Saturday...?

Gwen Stoker said...

You failed to mention Sexsmith! the Vancouver goalie! he definately spiced up the game