Sunday, August 2, 2009

"Thank You For the Music, The Songs I'm Singing, Thanks for all the Joy They're Bringing!"- Abba

I love talking about music, music makes me really excited, and I almost cannot fully express how influential music is in my life!





I've seen a lot of countdowns on most influential albums and there's been lots of talk lately (especially with the passing of Michael Jackson) on Artists that have impacted peoples lives and well that got me thinking.





So because of that I would now like to blog about albums that have rocked my world, and continue to rock my world to this day!





. . . . with that said I would like to preface with a warning to any music snobs in the house perusing this blog. I would venture to say you will not be very excited about the content of this post, often times the music that effects me most is that which has some kind of memory attached to it, or makes me feel something, which may not make it necessarily "good" music in the eyes of those who think they know, which is why this is MY most influential, and not THEE most influential. . . .what I'm really saying is don't judge me!




Billy Joel- An Innocent Man

on car trips with the family I recall listening to 4 artists and 4 artists only 1) Abba, 2) Oak Ridge Boys, 3) Air Supply and 4) Billy Joel. The former artists albums where all greatest hits discs, but not the later and as a matter of fact up until middle school, I thought Billy Joel only had one CD I had never even heard of "Piano Man". And while Piano Man and all the rest of his library is amazing and Billy Joel is one of my all time favorites. I'd have to say the An Innocent Man LP tops the cake for me because there isn't a bad song in the mix! I have that CD memorized from beginning to end. This is one of the albums I taught myself how to harmonize too. And I think I especially love it because it's one of the only musical works my entire family can agree on listening too. All the songs are my favorite but some you should definitely listen too are. . . .





"Uptown Girl"

"Tell Her About it"
and
"Leave a Tender Moment Alone"


Garth Brooks- In Pieces






When everyone else was going crazy for Grunge and Gangsta Rap I was massively immersed in my love for Country music and had big dreams of being a country music sensation. Artists like Garth Brooks and Reba McIntyre were my hero's! Garth Brooks "Ropin' the Wind" was my 2ND CD ever, but his "In Pieces" Album had the most influence on me, also because that's when he had that Madison Square Garden concert on TV and he was smashing guitars and flying through the air, showing the world what an incredible showman he was. This is another CD I can listen to from beginning to end.



My favorites. . . .


"Callin' Baton Rouge"


"Red Strokes"

"Kickin' and Screamin"

and "One Night a Day"



Alanis Morisette- Jagged Little Pill




Oh Alanis! I remember the first time I heard "You Oughtta Know" I saw the video on MTV and I thought I don't normally go for the rock music, but I'm a big fan of this. Then my sister got the Cd and I was converted. Alanis's angst really spoke to me for some reason (still not sure why, I didn't have much to be upset about), I don't know what it was about her yodely voice, angry lyrics and harmonica Solos, but I loved it, unfortunately I've never been satisfied with an Alanis album since, I've said it before and I'll say it again. . . I love my Morrisette MAD!!! Apparently Dave Coulier needs to mess her over again!






Tracks I can't get enough of. . . .


"All I Really Want"


"Perfect"


"Mary Jane"


and


"Not the Doctor"




Salt N Peppa- Very Necessary






I once told Angie that the first Hip Hop song I remember really loving was Fantastic Voyage by Coolio, and that was the song that converted me to Hip Hop (embarassing I know!), but in researching for this blog I came to realize that that song dropped in '94 while Shoop by Salt N Peppa came out in '93 and I LOVED that song! So I guess I stand corrected!




A lot of my friends had the Very Necessary album, I remember my old buddy Julie Stokes getting that in her Easter Basket and I was JEALOUS!!! I almost had my Mom convinced to buy it for me once, when we were shopping in Tri-Cities, but when she realized what kind of music it was she made me put it back. . . .that was a sad day. I still got to develop a love and appreciation for that disc thanks to Julie letting me secretly listen to it!


Best song ever

"None of Your Business!"


and you can't go wrong with


"Whatta Man"



Dixie Chicks - Fly






Even though I may not agree with their political views, I don't really care, the Dixie Chicks know how to make a record! not only was their album art super clever on this CD, but all the songs on that disc are emotional and tell so many great stories! This album makes me wanna wright songs!


Songs you should hear if you haven't. . . .


"Let Him Fly"


"Hole in My Head"


"Heartbreak Town"


"Cold Day In July"



Alicia Keys- As I Am







I did love Songs in A Minor (Keys first disc), and pretty much anything Alicia does I absolutely LOVE!!!!! But her last record I thought was BRILLIANT! Another CD that I find very inspiring! Makes me wish I would have stuck to the piano lessons! Oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda!


Tracks you should download ASAP


"Wreckless Love"

"Lesson Learned"


and

"Superwoman"



Bette Midler- Experience the Divine





I believe I have mentioned before my love for The Divine Miss M, If I could re-live the career of anyone in the music industry it would be hers! She is the ultimate entertainer for me! This is another CD I constantly smuggled from my sister, and on several occasions I recall donning an old french maid dance costume of mine and choreographing my own tap routine to "Miss Otis Regrets", that song was my JAM!!!!



Others jams to listen too. . . .


"Boogie Woogie Buggle Boy"


"One for My Baby (One more for the road)"

and of course

"Friends"



Justin Timberlake- FutureSexLoveSounds





As said by Pharell himself "Justin Wohooohyeah!" I'm crazy for Mr. Timberlake! This is no surprise, and his last album I'm crazy for as well! If you haven't heard the slew of his hits from this record then you have seriously been living under a rock! A lot of soul and Justin's own skills as a song writer went into this album and that's why it tops my list!




Songs I would die without listening too. . . . . . .


"Losin' My Way"


"Another Song (All Over Again)"


"Until the End of Time"

and "Chop Me Up"




The

Miseducation of Lauryn Hill- Lauryn Hill





This album solidified my love for R&B, Lauryn Hill converted me! I got this album and never looked back. You just have to hear it to understand, everything I love about music is on this album!





"Nothing Even Matters (Duet With D'Angelo)"



"Tell Him"



"I Used to Love Him (Duet with Mary J. Blidge)"



and my favorite, favorite, favorite



"To Zion"







OK my friends, I'm curious about what records have uplifted, inspired, or entertained you! this is a safe place,you will not be judged. . . . to your face!







Peace Out!!!!

7 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

Love that list! Recognize and absolutely adore most of them and want to go download the rest.

My very first CD - No Doubt 'Tragic Kingdom' Say what you will that CD was before its time awesome.

Angie said...

don't try and change your coolio answer now just to seem cooler...

Jon and Amy Duvall said...

Niiiice list! I do have to say that I had some weird obsession with alanis at one time. Oooo I do agree with the Tragic Kingdom Cd. I was much in love with Gwen for years and secretly wanted to become her. I just set my blog to private, so send me your e-mail and I'll put you on my list! amyduvall85@gmail.com

Kyle said...

What a great list. I love hearing about music that has an influence on people and I will probably have a similar list up on my blog in the near future.

Mindy said...

My first CD was Jewel and I love her to this day.

My absolute favorite artist of all time has to be Celine Dion. You either love her or hate her and I happen to love every single CD she has, even those in French.
Went to her concert last October and she was absolutely Ammmmazzzzing!!
I, too, had a love for Alanis and Meredith Brooks.

Unknown said...

fangyanting20150710
cheap jordans uk
jordan femme
louis vuitton sito ufficiale
kate spade bags
abercrombie and fitch
retro jordans
tory burch outlet
ray ban glasses
coach outlet store online
pandora bracelets
coach factory outlet
louboutin pas cher
burberry scarf
nike blazer high
tory burch outlet online
cheap ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet store online
oakley outlet
michael kors bags
gucci handbags
gucci borse
michael kors purse
ed hardy clothing outlet
gucci handbags
fitflops sale
michael kors handbags
louboutin femme
sac louis vuitton
air max 2015
ralph lauren uk outlet
toms outlet store
oakley sunglasses outlet
mcm bags
coach outlet
kate spade new york

KlingeltoneKostenlos said...

The best electronica ringtones in 2017
Hi everyone!
Does your phone have good and attractive ringtones? Today I will share with you the best electronica ringtones in 2017.

The best electronica ringtones in 2017:
- let me love you ringtone
- dowload shape of you ringtone
- despacito ringtone
- dowload IphoneX ringtone
- Iphone8 mp3 ringtone

There are also many other ringtones, you can see more at the homepage: https://ringtonesmobile.net